After sitting in an office chair for about 8 hours a day, I feel kind of lazy and inactive…which in turn makes me feel sluggish and blaaaaaah.
Here are a few exercises that I’ve started doing to give me a bit more energy and get out of this sedentary lifestyle, which can even in the worst cases lead to depression, obesity, heart disease, etc- these movements get me feeling better about being physically inactive for nearly 8 hours of 24 (not considering any other fitness routines).
- While sitting at your desk in your swivel chair, place your feet flat on the floor in front of you. Keep you back straight and sit upright.
- Move your chair from side to side, using your legs and stomach. Keep your stomach tight.
- Do this for 5 – 10 minutes at a time, every hour that you are at the computer. If you can only start at 5 minutes that fine, work your way up.
Chair Squat and Tricep Dip
- Periodically while sitting, lift butt off the seat and hover over chair for 2-3 seconds. Stand up and repeat.
- Make sure chair is stable and place hands next to hips. Move hips in front of chair and bend elbows, lowering body until elbows are at 90 degrees. Repeat.
If you have access to an exercise ball – replace it with your office chair, its awesome and you get a workout and posture adjustment without knowing it. I used one while working in New England – where I was working 12-hour shifts for up to 6 days in a row, so my body was taking a sedentary life of its own. The ball made a huge difference and made me feel much better about myself.
Maybe I’ll sneak mine into the office one morning…